Friday, November 30, 2012

Chile Verde .............Green Chili




                                Chile Verde  sorta  green chili to a Vanilla


 ok what we have here is

Tomatillos (toe-ma-tee-ohs)


they are like tomatoes:

Tomatillos are also called "tomate verde" in Mexico (which means green tomato) and are considered a staple in Mexican cooking. Tomatillo is a member of the nightshade family, related to tomatoes. It now grows everywhere in the Western Hemisphere and is common in Texas gardens.

Here in cali they grow in our gardens to!

I use pork shoulder or butt you could use chicken or beef.

I brown my butt (Lol) in my cast iron with manteca ( a mexican lard) onions, black pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic, you can use what you and your family like spice and amounts. I like to put just about anything green including chili"s, zucchini even green apples! I learned long ago my kids only hated what they saw and loved what they couldn't.






I would cook this down with chicken broth and water on the stove with a lid for hours, now you could cook it in a crock pot or in the oven you could even cut it down to small pieces then cook it in a shorter amount of time.



As you can see I am preparing a pot of pinto beans for home-made refried beans.



After my butt has cooked down into a "falls apart, no need to cut" state then de bone and remove fat.

At this point i would prepare my veggies and fruits. Tomatillos need to be peeled the outer skin removes easily, then you can quarter or leave whole and I like to use the drippings or broth and  cook done (reduce) until it becomes a gravy feel. 


Add caption
Serve with refried beans, rice, tortia's avocado's, shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, La Creama (sour cream) and some Sangria.




      ENJOY YOUR LIFE  ENJOY YOURSELF  ENJOY OTHERS  ENJOY COOKING



2 comments: